Two female students say they were not allowed to attend Lexington Catholic High School’s prom as a couple Saturday night, upsetting a number of students at the school.
Hope Decker, 18, a senior, and sophomore Tiffany Wright, 16, had already gotten their dresses for the event, but Friday afternoon they were told by school administrators they could not attend as a couple because of the church’s stance on same-sex relationships, Wright said.
In an email Sunday, Lexington Catholic president Steve Angelucci said, “As a Catholic high school, we uphold every teaching of the Catholic Church. The policies and procedures of our school reflect those teachings.”
When the couple tried to enter the school’s gymnasium, where the prom was held, they were turned away, so Wright said they held their own prom in the school’s parking lot.
"I would understand and respect the school’s decision if they truly upheld church teachings," Wright said Sunday night. "They didn’t forbid the entrance of all the couples who’ve had premarital sex and all the kids who planned to get drunk after the prom."
Wright said Decker was “overwhelmed with all of the attention” and did not want to comment for this story. Decker later called and asked the story not be printed because she didn’t want to hurt the reputation of the high school.
Wright said the couple’s parking-lot prom was great.
"We had a wonderful night, and we were surrounded by true friends," Wright said. "I’ll remember it for the rest of my life."
Among the other students outside with them were Lexington Catholic senior Suzie Napier, who said she wrote a letter to school administrators expressing displeasure at their decision. Napier said 107 fellow students signed it.
"I think that it is unfair that Hope and Tiffany were not allowed to attend prom together," Napier said. "I can understand why, but I don’t agree with it."
"Universal love and acceptance," she said, is a greater Catholic tradition than its stance on same-sex relationships.
Napier said the students played music from their parked cars at the outside prom and set up a table for refreshments.
"I definitely think this prom will be much more memorable than any prom the school hosted," Napier said.
Megan Carter-Stone, a senior, also attended the outside prom.
"It was a wonderful time, and I think we got our point across," Carter-Stone said. "At least I hope we did."
From the Lexington Hearald-Leader; full story HERE.
Minnesota teen Mike Stone can’t bring Megan Piper, or any other porn star, to prom, the school district said. Mike Stone won’t be able to attend his high school prom with Megan Piperor any other porn star, according to the North St. Paul-Maplewood-Oakdale School District in Minnesota.
Stone was called to the principal’s office at Tartan Senior High School this week and told it was inappropriate to bring an adult film star to a high school dance, the Daily Dot reports.
However, the 18-year-old student escaped disciplinary action and was not in any trouble with the school, Jennifer McNeil, a representative for the school district, told The Huffington Post.
After sending nearly 600 Tweets, Stone had recently received responses from at least two porn stars who said they were willing to attend his prom as long as he provided money for airfare.
In a statement issued to parents and obtained by HuffPost, the North St. Paul-Maplewood-Oakdale School District cited regulations to defend their decision to ban an adult film star from attending the event.
In short, the rules state that the district has the right to deny any person admission to a school-sponsored event if “the visit is not in the best interest of students, employees or the school district,” or if it “substantially disrupts the orderly operation of school or school activities,” McNeil said.
This will be the second time Piper misses out on attending a high school prom; she moved from Georgia to Kansas during her senior year of high school and couldn’t attend her own.
And although the 19-year-old porn star was disappointed about the decision, she acknowledged the school was acting in the best interests of the students.
"I’m not thrilled; I kind of wanted to go, but I understand," Piper said in a telephone interview.
But Piper also said she was looking forward to meeting Stone’s parents, receiving a corsage, posing for pictures with his friends and doing “all the normal things kids would be doing for prom.”
According to the Daily Dot, Stone’s principal did bring the teen’s actions to the attention of his parents, who were “embarrassed” by the situation.
Piper said she wasn’t surprised by their reaction.
"I don’t know what I would think if I were them," she said.
Despite rumors, the Tartan High School prom has not been canceled, McNeil confirmed. The dance will take place May 12 at the Landmark Center in St. Paul.